Thursday, November 5, 2015

Meiosis

To model meiosis we used yarn just like for the mitosis activity. I have always been confused by meiosis and mitosis. Now I understand more about how they are related, but different also. Once meiosis occurs, then mitosis can happen. Meiosis is just for making the sperm or egg. I thought it was really interesting that the steps of meiosis have the same name as the ones of mitosis, except they have a 1 or 2 after them. (For example, Prophase 1) Another thing I found interesting is that when meiosis is complete you either end up with 4 sperm or 1 egg and 3 polar bodies. I never realized that happened. I thought you would get 4 eggs too if you got 4 sperm. Below are some pictures of the stages of meiosis modeled with yarn. 
Prophase 1

Metaphase 1

Anaphase 1

Telophase 1

Metaphase 2

Telophase 2

No comments:

Post a Comment